Thursday, March 03, 2005

The Chase

Hope was fading into the horizon. As the truth dawned on me, I had the painful sensation of being punched in my stomach. I had made a mistake; a grave one. But introspection could wait, time was running out. I had to act quickly. The path was full of hurdles, perils lurked in every corner. But I had just one thought in my mind. HE MUST BE STOPPED.
I shot off instinctively.
Hope was disappearing. But my instincts told me to fight on. Circumstances mould mortals into heroes. It seemed that an effort no less than heroic alone would make IT happen.
Men always ‘run’ to keep pace with the fast-moving world. They always ‘chase their dreams’. But few have to actually ‘run and chase’ their goals in real life. While my legs threatened to give away, memories form another era flashed before me…all those races I ran starting from my kinder-garden race. Still this had to be my best effort. Alas, I could not afford the luxury of timing it now; if only I had timed other things this morning…
With my hands outstretched in desperation, I tried to catch his attention. I was running out of breath, it had to be now or never. Heroes do not wait for things to happen, they make them happen. With a massive effort, I took a giant leap. I was airborne for an eerie moment. Yes. I had made it. Suddenly, the beast screeched to a stop. The sound of talons scratching a tile pierced into my ears. Then weapons rained on me.
Words are the most potent of weapons, they do you no physical damage but take away your greatest possession - your self-confidence. “Hey, come on Mr. Driver.. you can’t blame me. I have just proved what a hero I am. Yes, I have managed to catch the college bus………. The last one in this route in a manner befitting a warrior. Aren’t you impressed?!”.
The very Hollywood like episode had a typical bollywood ending. The saga had spread far and wide(ah, well in my street at least). I was subject to reprimands, blackmails( once more you start late to college…..), maa-sentiments( beta, you can’t be so reckless).
I woke up to face a pleasant summer morning the next day. ‘Oh oh. Hope is fading into the horizon once again.’ I knew better this time. ‘Hey auto. Game to chase the bus.’
MORAL: Heroes learn from their mistakes. At least that way, I ………
what..you want me to learn to be on time..tough ask.

2 Comments:

Blogger ramakrishnan said...

it was like reading a racy thriller,the imagery was great,suspense riveting and reading fulfilling.look 4 the next novel titled "venki runs ".

9:35 PM  
Blogger Rahul Raghavan said...

ineffable da really, your narrative skills are really awesome.....so we guys really expect more of this da..keep working on this.....someday we might have our own Venki writing scripts for a Tom cruise movie....

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home